Today being Easter has given me cause to pause and reflect on the merciful gift that the Savior gave when he sacrificed his life on the cross and then, miraculously took it up again. I love the following quote by Elder Jeffrey R. Holland pertaining to the Atonement of Jesus Christ, which is the reason for our celebration today.
“Brothers and sisters, one of the great consolations of this Easter season is that because Jesus walked such a long, lonely path utterly alone, we do not have to do so. His solitary journey brought great company for our little version of that path—the merciful care of our Father in Heaven, the unfailing companionship of this Beloved Son, the consummate gift of the Holy Ghost, angels in heaven family members on both sides of the veil, prophets and apostles, teachers, leaders, friends. All of these and more have been given as companions for our mortal journey because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and the Restoration of His gospel. Trumpeted from the summit of Calvary is the truth that we will never be left alone nor unaided, even sometimes we may feel that we are. Truly the Redeemer of us all said: “I will not leave you comfortless: [My Father and] I will come to you [and abide with you].”
I know that the Savior can comfort us. He has comforted me in the times of deepest sorrow, and has walked down lonely paths with me. The words of a hymn have stuck with me all day:
Today the ward choir sang a verse of the song I don't think I'd ever heard. I LOVED it.I marvel that he would descend from his throne divine
To rescue a soul so rebellious and proud as mineThat he should extend his great love unto such as ISufficient to own, to redeem and to justify
I stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers meSecure in the promise of life in his victoryThus ransomed from death I will live to my Savior's praise
And sing of his goodness and mercy through endless days
No comments:
Post a Comment