The past week I have been pondering a lot about what I could have, should have done with regards to my Grandma. Could I have been a better Granddaughter? Probably. But today I'm thankful for something I did do.
In August, you'll recall (or you won't...), I spent 30 hours at home between Alaska and Utah. I flew in late-ish Thursday evening, spent Friday at home preparing and eating delicious Chinese food, and then left early Saturday morning for Provo.
I spent Friday packing stuff into my car, throwing things out, and hanging out with my family. Eric flew in around noon on Friday, I picked him up at the airport, we took a load of stuff to Goodwill, and then went to go visit Grandma. I didn't really have the time; I was pretty stressed about moving and getting everything done, and full of anticipation/excitement about seeing the boy, but I knew I needed to visit my grandma.
I don't remember what we talked about, I remember telling her about Alaska, and about what Kristen was up to, about my plans for the coming year, but mostly I just remember sitting in the front room and holding her hand while we talked. It was the best visit I had had with her in a long time. I all but ignored Eric for the half hour we were there visiting, and simply talked with her. I saw a glimpse of my grandma, the one I loved, she knew who I was, and even what I was up to in my life (going to Alaska for the summer).
I think I'll always be thankful that I took that time, however short it was. I'm glad I don't have to wish I'd done it because I didn't know that it would be goodbye for this life.
What a great post.
ReplyDelete